Museum of Christian Art
The Museum of Christian Art is housed in one of the most important monuments of Heraklion, at the church of Saint Catherine of Sinai, a catholicon of the monastery of the same name that operated from the second Byzantine period until 1669 and was the religious and spiritual center of the Venetian Crete. It is located in the city center, very close to the old and the current Metropolitan Church of St. Minas.
The museum is still working after the restoration of the church that began in 2007 and the re-opening of the works that began in 2012 under the responsibility of the 13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities and was completed just a few weeks ago.
With its new form, the museum offers its visitors the opportunity to acquire a complete picture of the Christian art developed in Crete from the 14th to the end of the Ottoman domination (19th century). Among his most important exhibits are works by Angelos Akotantos (15th century) and Michael Damaskinos (16th century), important representatives of the Cretan School of Hagiography.
There are still exhibited frescoes, representative works of stone carving, wood sculpture, post-Byzantine metalwork and miniature crafts, coins, devotional objects, amphions, embroidery, manuscripts, and palettes.
The Museum is open from Monday to Saturday and from 9.00 to 13.00.
In Phaistos, excavations began in 1900, by the Italian Archaeological School and brought to light the second in size, after the Knossos, Minoan palace. According to mythology, Europe bestowed upon Zeus three sons: Minos, Rhadamanthus and Sarpedon,...
Venetian fortress Koule
The Fortress was built by the Venetians in the early years of their domination in Chandax, for the better protection of the port of the city, which had a prominent strategic and commercial importance. The original building, which was low and witho...