In 1878, Minos Kalokerinos, a citizen of Heraklion, began excavation on Kefala hill, about 5 km south of Heraklion. Four rooms were excavated and rushed out of ruins many clay jars. Later, the English Sir Arthur Evans bought the hill from the Turkish owner, and in 1900 he began excavations with a large staff of associates. Excavations brought to light the Palace of the King Minos. The place of Knossos is pre-Hellenic. Perhaps the first inhabitant of the area was called Knos, and because of him, the city was named Knossos. The meaning of the word Knossos could be '' the city of Knos''. The excavated palace of Knossos spread over an area of 22,000 m², dates back to the Neo-Palatial or Second palatial Minoan period, 1700-1450 B.C, the brightest and the most glamorous Minoan period. The Minoan city of Knossos was developed around the palace.
The palace and the Minoan city of Knossos were destroyed in 1450 b.C, but Minoans didn't disappear. The Minoan culture wasn't lost. There are many archeological finds,(cups, rings, paintings, sarcophagus etc) form excavated Mycenean towns and cemeteries of Peloponnese which have got decoration as if they had been made by Minoans. After the catastrophe of 1450 b.C. civilization center was moved from Knossos to Mycenae, Peloponnese.
In Phaistos, excavations began in 1900, by the Italian Archaeological School and brought to light the second in size, after the Knossos, Minoan palace. According to mythology, Europe bestowed upon Zeus three sons: Minos, Rhadamanthus and Sarpedon,...
Natural History Museum
The Natural History Museum of Crete was founded in December 1980 at the School of Sciences of the University of Crete. It includes five departments: Zoological, Botanical, Anthropological, Palaeontological - Geological and Mineralogical.The Museu...